Sunday, April 17, 2016

five things





















With having anxiety I always feel like I'm forgetting something.
So I do every task I can think of in the hopes that the feeling will go away.
But it never does and at the end of the day I always feel that I have left something undone.
So now, as part of my nightly routine I make a list in my head of 5 things.
5 things I did that day that helped me become a better person, disciple of Christ, friend.
5 things I did that day that helped me become closer to my goals and the person that I want to become.
Because even when I feel like I did absolutely nothing worthwhile that day I want to be able to look back and see what I actually did accomplish, even if it was small.
So I list 5 things.
And those 5 things can be anything that I want because I am the judge of what I have accomplished.
But instead of just listing things that I normally do, I list things that went beyond that.
Instead of listing "I made dinner tonight" I list "even though I was really tired I got up and made an effort to cook a healthy meal for my husband and I."
If cooking dinner that day was not something that challenged me or made me better, I don't list it.
But if I still made dinner, despite craziness that might prevent me from doing it then I do list it.
The first time I did this I could only get my list to number 4.
I just could NOT think of a fifth thing that I had done to become a better person that day.
Then I realized that the day wasn't completely over even though I was already snuggled up in bed.
There is always time to get that last list item in for the day, no matter what it is.
I can meditate, I can pick up my phone and read scriptures, I can text something nice to a friend, I can make plans with someone I haven't seen in a while, I can set a goal for tomorrow, I can find a new workout or recipe to try the next day, I can plan a date night...
There are so many things that we can accomplish just laying in bed with our phone in our hands.
If you're still awake, it's still possible. 
So, every night, find your 5 things.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! :)