Thursday, October 3, 2013

living more simply







































Have you ever been to the point where you have so many clothes that you just have nothing to wear?
And you stand in front of the closet for a good 30 minutes trying to find an outfit?
It's an oxymoronic turning point in a girl's life.
I read this article about a girl who wore the same outfit every day for an entire year.
She loved clothes but found that they were consuming all of her thoughts.
She writes that she soon came to the realization that her identity was becoming her wardrobe.
She slowly started getting rid of clothes until she only had one outfit left with a few accessories.
What she discovered was amazing.
And it made me think about the things that clutter my life and my decision making.
Do I have so many belongings that my thoughts and decisions are consumed by these petty possessions?
Are my belongings keeping me from appreciating the Earth more than manufacturers?
Am I spending money on things I don't need rather than saving it for a future adventure?
Am I letting my identity become my possessions?
I think that once we determine what our values and priorities are in life then we can start simplifying.
Are the things we own conducive to what we value?
William Morris said:
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.
I've decided to take on a challenge.
To live with only 100 items.
I'm going to have to start going through my belongings because I definitely have more than 100 items.
I'll let ya know how it goes!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! :)